Monday, March 19, 2012

Project Wonder Woman

Welcome to Project Wonder Woman!  My new blog to help hold me accountable to a healthier lifestyle.  If you have read my other blog, Waiting for Petronella, you know of some of my struggles with my weight.  Here's a quick recap for those of you who are new:
I am an athlete.  I have been an athlete my entire life.  I grew up playing volleyball, basketball, softball, golf, racquetball, and my favorite: throwing the shot/discus/hammer in track & field.  I was always the "big girl" from Middle School through High School, but my weight began to fluctuate in High School.  I am 5'10" and when I graduated High School in 2002 I weighed 185, and while I was the big girl then, I look back at those pictures and realize I was "skinny" compared to what I have become.  Track & Field took me to the University of Nebraska, where I competed for 5 years, and again my weight continued to fluctuate.  Most people have heard of the freshmen 15, try the freshmen 50!  That's right, you heard me, I went from 185 to 235 in that first year.  Granted a chunk of that weight was due to muscle gain in the weight room (my second home!) a lot of it was also due to poor eating, and drinking, habits.  At my highest I got up to 243 around my 2nd year of college, stayed in the 230's my 3rd year, dropped to 212 by 4th year, and hung around the 220's my senior year.  To be honest, I was comfortable in the 220's, I was competing at my highest level and even managed to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the shot put.  Quite honestly, I was one of the smaller girls there at 220, I mean, we're shot putters, people expect us to be the "big girls".  We throw heavy metal objects for a "living" and spend countless hours getting big & strong in the weight room.  After competing at the trials, I accepted a job coaching track & field at a University in North Carolina, and while I tried to continue my shot put training, life got in the way.  I stopped.  Not just my specific training, but working out all together.  I got lazy, and quite honestly, I had only known one kind of training for the past 10 years and I had no clue to what to do if I wasn't training for a competition.  In August 2009 I hit my highest weight ever, 247, and I knew I had to do something about it.  I still had no drive to workout, so I adjusted my diet using the MyPlate app from LiveStrong.com, and it was AMAZING!  I steadily, albeit slowly, dropped the weight.  From August 2009 to August 2011 I dropped 46 pounds, just one measly pound away from my goal of 200.  And I stayed at that weight through October 2011 when I got married and I felt fabulous in my wedding gown.  Then I don't know what shifted.  I started eating like crap again, and still not working out on a regular basis (read once every couple of months).  So here I sit today, weighing in at 225, and I've stayed here for the past couple months.  Something needs to change, so change it will today.

So are you still with me?  I know that was long, but I want you to understand my history with weight.  A history that doesn't need to be part of my future.  So, inspired by a blog I read from another former thrower that I competed against in college (The Workout Chronicles) I am starting Project Wonder Woman. 

Yesterday was Day 1 and here's what I did:
  • Triple Extension Warm Up Series & Spiderman Lunges
  • 1x20 Walking Forward Lunges
  • 1x20 Walking Reverse Lunges
  • 1x20 Incline Pushups
  • 1x10 Partial Tricep Dips
  • 1x10 Bodyweight Squats
  • 2x20m "Sprints"
  • 2x40m "Sprints"
  • 1x10 Incline Pushups
It wasn't anything too intensive, but it was a start, it was SOMETHING!  I got off my but and started moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment