Friday, August 31, 2012

Finding long term motivation

For some crazy lucky people, working out and eating right come naturally.  It is a part of their routine and they thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.  I am not one of those people.  I need something tangible, something to chase, some THING to motivate me.  So when I talk with others about the need to find my motivation their usual first response is "you should do it to be healthy and for general quality of life."  While I do agree that is probably the BEST reason to exercise & eat healthy, it just doesn't do it for me.  What I do know is that when I have a goal with a set outcome, I am the fiercest competitor you will ever meet.  I will go above and beyond what is necessary to get what I want.  This was great for me as an athlete.  The outcome goals were to win, whether it was volleyball, softball, throwing, whatever.  Now that I have "retired" from full time competition, have no training partners, have no coach, what am I shooting for?  That is the #1 question I am trying to answer right now.

The other issue I have noticed is that I get bored easily.  The last time I lost a large amount of weight, I had a goal to get down to 200lbs.  I got down to 202.  I said "close enough" and what I was doing to lose that weight became boring to me, so I quit.  This summer I got back in the weightroom, I trained hard for 4 weeks.  I rocked out those 4 weeks.  I maxed out at the end, was so excited with my results, felt like I exceeded my goal, so I quit.  There is a major mental block going on somewhere.  Without being a full time athlete I really don't know how to motivate right now.

My question to you is what motivates you to eat right & go to the gym?

The hubby & I have embarked on a new journey selling lifestyle products including sports nutrition, weight management, green cleaning supplies & all natural beauty supplies with Shaklee.  So now it's time to find the motivation so I can walk the walk when I suggest to my athletes & clients to do the same.

If you're interested in making a change for the better in your life, please contact me, I'm glad to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment